Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spicy Spanish Shrimp, Cheesy Orzo, and Grilled Green Beans

During my outing to the grocery, I picked up all the supplied I needed for the next three Rachael Ray Meals.  Which was handy, as TheHubby and I both worked the next two days.  First on the menu was Spicy Spanish Shrimp, Cheesy Orzo and Grilled Green Beans (or if you are anything like us: Steamer bag of green beans)( That being said, Both the printer friendly and the original recipe will tell you how to grill the beans, should you so desire)

I was a little nervous for this recipe, namely the Spicy Spanish part of it.  TheHubby has reflux issues, so spicy food doesn't play well with others...it's an only child thing (which we BOTH are!)  So I just dialed down on the jalapeno.

Also, another tidbit, I didn't have a scale, so when the recipe calls for 1/2 lb of orzo, I guessed, but I didn't guess well.  I would say between 1.5-2 Cups of orzo for 4 people.

Oh, one more thing,  I couldn't find pre-cooked chorizo, so I used andouille sausage, all of the flavor, but none of the bite.

The crew (it was only after I started cooking, that I realized that I didn't include the sausage)

First, start cooking the orzo according to the instructions (It only takes about 15 minutes to cook, so be advised)

Next heat some olive oil in a large skillet over high heat, and render the sausage for about a minute (Rendering means letting some of the fat melt off into the bottom of the pan, It will add flavor to the veggies)


Add the onion, peppers, and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes

Season the shrimp with the paprika and toss into the pan

Add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and firm.


Drain the pasta, and stir in the cheese.

Serve the shrimp mix beside the orzo, then add the beans, and

Voila!


It was delicious!  Nomcious, even.

Afterword, TheHubby admitted that he, too had been nervous about it being too spicy, but he said it was a make-again (!)  which is always fun for me, to have something fun to break up the chicken and pasta routine that we can sometimes get into

He actually liked it so much, he took some of the leftovers to work for his lunch! Which rarely happens.


Click here for a printer friendly version

Original Recipe can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment