Thursday, March 8, 2012

Grilled Chicken & Bacon Mac & Cheese

So you might be able to see a pattern emerging....we like bacon....and cheese.  Well, we typically don't have bacon all the time, but when we have it, I try to use it before it goes bad.  Things have a tendancy to migrate to the back of the fridge and get lost for all of eternity.  Or until Satan (what TheMan and I call the nasty stink that happens occasionally to our fridge/disposal/trash can) comes to live in our fridge, then it gets a good cleaning & exorcism, let's be honest: mostly exorcism. And it can get pretty scarey, very Linda Blair.

I was going to post a picture, but I'm afraid I would get nightmares, like I did when I was reading the book.  (Of course it didn't help that TheMan spoke with a deep gravely/demonic voice when the lights were off) (What a meanie!)


Aaanywho.

This is another, Man-approved meal, also Rachael Ray meal.  #2.
Since the first one also had Bacon, Pasta, and Cheese, I'm feeling confident that this, too, will be a big hit!

I know it's kind of a lame recipe, but we both worked, and neither of us want to go to the store after working 10-12 hours. So we have everything we need for this one.

I'm off the next few days, so I will venture out to the grocery and the next post will be new, and exciting, and TheMan probably won't like it as much.  :-\

But, back to the important stuff:

Here are the ingredients: pasta, chicken, bacon, onion, paprika, butter, flour
chicken broth, milk, and cheese

First, pre-heat the oven to 375

Arrange the bacon on a pan and bake until crisp (around 15 minutes) (If you have a broiler pan, that would work best)

After the bacon is done, pat it dry, chop it up and try not to eat it as you finish the rest of the cooking.  I just made more than I needed, and that solved that!

Then Switch the broiler on.

Meanwhile, on the top of the stove...

Bring a pot of water, with some salt added, to a boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente (the official instructions say to cook until 1 minutes less than the instructions on the box)

While the pasta is cooking, heat a pan over medium-high heat.

Drizzle some of the olive oil over the chicken

And season (evenly) with paprika, salt and pepper.
Grill the chicken for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.

When the chicken is done, transfer it to a cutting board and half it length wise (if you are using chicken breasts) then thinly slice it cross wise (I used pre-cut chicken tenders, so I just did the cross-wise cutting)

Meanwhile, on the third burner...
(That's right, you have your oven/broiler and 3 burners going!  You are a regular Julia Child!)

Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat.

Add the onion and cook until light golden and transluscent (about 15 minutes)

Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 1 minute

Whisk in the broth

Then the milk

Bring to a boil, and continue whisking until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (3-4min)

Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper (I actually didn't use any thyme), nutmeg is optional

Stir in the cheeses until melted
Add the chicken, bacon and sauce to the pasta

Transfer to a casserole dish (and I topped with some bread crumbs, but I don't think It added much to it)

Broil until bubbling and  browned, about 5 minutes.

Voila!

This was a hit with TheMan



Original recipe found here

No comments:

Post a Comment