Monday, March 5, 2012

Cowboy Spaghetti

Following my recent disaster, I decided to let MyHandsomeHusband pick the next meal, with the preface that he would, in all likelyhood, have to make a trip to the grocery.  I have been naughty and neglecting the grocery shopping. It just seems like we have SO MUCH FOOD!  But in reality, we have all of the staples, but none of the extras.  But I digress:  He would have to venture out to the store, as he has the day off, and I am slaving away at work. 

So, last night I spent 30 minutes bookmarking recipes that I would like, and then handed the book to MyHandsomeHusband and asked him to pick one. 

Which really wasn't a hard choice for him, as one recipe was Cowboy Spaghetti, which includes bacon and ground beef. (I mean, what guy wouldn't pick that recipe, when given the choice?!) (What girl for that matter...well, what country girl)

As is fitting with my Rachael Ray Week, I got this recipe from her cookbook Express Lane Meals. It was in the first section: for the utterly exhausted, which perfectly describes me after working all day.

So to start out. Put a pot of water on to boil with some salt and olive oil added (to keep the pasta from sticking) Once it is boiling, you can dump the pasta in and cook.
Now, noticing how poorly my lighting is, I am definatly going to have to do something about that. 
Meanwhile
In a medium pan, fry up some bacon (YUM!  Now, this is only for a garnish, but it might have been eaten while the rest of the dinner was cooking...maybe)
Remove the back when it is cooked and drain off most of the grease from the pan
(leave enough to coat the bottom)

Add the ground beef, and break it up as it browns.

While that is browning, chop us the onion, and garlic
and add it into the ground beef and cook until onion is transluscent.

Next add the tomatoes and tomato sauce (or salsa tomatoes [since that is what matt got at the store {but it turned out better!, in my opinion, as I'm not a huge fan of tomato sauce}])

<<Imagine a poorly lit picture of tomatoes being stirred in>>

Once the tomatoes are heated through, add the cook spaghetti and mix together

Sprinkle top with grated cheese,  (and if you are anything like us, sprinkle a little more....and maybe a little more)
The Verdict:  MyHandsomeHubby raved (can you tell how excited I am by the large, purple, bold, italicized, and underlined word?!?!) about it all weekend!  He even ate the leftovers!
He said it was borderline Skyline (I disagreed and told him it is much better than Skyline, to which he disagreed and rolled his eyes)

On to the next Rachael Ray Recipe (How do you like that alliteration?!)



PS: I promise I will do something about that lighting.  It is horrendous!
PPS: I also will do better about composition with the pictures, but the lighting was so bad, that I got frustrated, and I was already famished.

No comments:

Post a Comment