Monday, May 21, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

AKA: Heart attack a la Pioneerwoman

TheHubby requested meatloaf.  And, since he doesn't request much, and pretty much eats what ever I put infront of him.  I told Him:  OF COURSE!   So Since I'm in the middle of my week on the pioneer, I KNEW that Ree just had to have a recipe for this...I mean, what down-home, mid-west cowboy cookbook DOESN'T have meatloaf.  

Lo and Behold!

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf.

The Crew

Pour the milk over the bread and let it soak in for a few minutes.

Put the ground beef, eggs, cheese, bread, and parsley in a bowl, and mix until combined
(Don't be a wuss, use your hands, it will be faster)
(But it's gross,  just a heads up)

Ta-Da

Form into a loaf in a pan
(I used aluminum foil to line the bottom and it was much easier to clean up)

Next wrap the meatloaf in bacon
(thin sliced would work best)

Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and dried mustard.

Pour 1/3 over the meatloaf
Bake for 1 hour

There you have it

Now for the review:

It was very good, very moist, with a good flavor.

However,

It was heavy, and filling, and greasy, and just too much.
I probably won't make it again, for that reason.

If I did, I would omit the bread, and maybe cut up 2-3 slices of bacon, and mix in with the ingredients.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it WAS delicious!  But as we don't eat greasy food very often, it was just too much.  We would manage about 4-5 bites, and be full. 
I mean REALLY full

Like post-Thanksgiving feast full
Like finish an entire chipotle burrito full
Like unbutton the top button of your pants full (That may or may not have been a true story)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment